Wednesday, October 8, 2008

First Frost!

Well, we officially had the first frost!  We remebered about midnight as we were getting ready for bed.  Blake and I both grabbed our hats and coats and headed out to the garden.  Luckily the only thing that we had left was the tomatoes.   We had recently read an article in the paper about turning your green tomatoes red.  In the article it mentioned putting the tomatoes in a box, wrapped them in newspaper, or cutting off the vine and hanging them in the garage.  

We do know that our green tomatoes go red; only because our rug rat this summer had us prove this theory. Allie picked a handful of green tomatoes through out the summer and after letting them sit in the window for awhile, they turned RED.   Well we decided to hang the vines we had picked off the ladder.  We'll keep everyone updated.  Hopefully we can continue to get red tomatoes over the next few weeks.   

Our fabulous new garden in the garage!

We also ended up with a bowl full of tomatoes.  We are keeping these in the house, so we'll see which ones turn red first

2 comments:

Stephanie Johnson said...

Kim this is totally unrelated to your post but how the heck do you keep your house so orderly and spottless I mean I only get views from the pictures on your blog and I am not one bit suprised but I swear I am always cleaning my house and it NEVER looks as clean as yours. what is the trick?

Marisa said...

Yummy tomatoes... I love them! Hopefully they ripen well and then you'll be having fresh garden tomatoes in your salad at Thanksgiving!