Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Nauty OR Nice

Allie has had a mix of nauty and nice in her lately.  Today I made the mistake of leaving crayons accessable to Allie's reach.  We were both downstairs and Allie had gone upstairs to grab something.  After being upstairs for a minute, Allie called down to me "Mom come look."  I regret not going up the first time she called for me.  When I finally went upstairs I was welcomed to a beautifully colored wall.  In order to keep myself sane for the moment I took Allie and put her in bed, shutting the door behind me.  I immediately took a deep breath and went to the internet to learn how I was going to clean crayon off the wall.   Thank heavens for the internet; I don't know what I would do without it.   After learning that toothpaste would remove this masterpiece I went and got Allie.  I thought it was only fair that since she made the mess she needed to try her best to help me clean it up.  

 Work by my little Picasso

 After Allie helped me clean up for a minute, I went to work scrubbing solo.  I had forgotten to put away one crayon and you think this girl would have learned her lesson.  No, she was hard at work behind my back coloring on the other wall.  I went and laid her down for a nap and told her we weren't reading books.  I think this was a first time we have never read a book before bed and she was devastated.  She knew she had not been good and that mom wasn't happy.  She looked up at me and said, "Don't tell Mr. Peeps I've been naughty.  I want a baby!"  (For those who don't know about Mr. Peeps, he will make his appearance in a few days)


Well on the flip side of the coin Allie has fallen in love with her new baby Megan.  She just adores her and is so sweet to her.  Allie has to have her baby everywhere we go.   The reason this doll fell into Allie's lap is because she weaned herself from her "binks."  I couldn't believe it myself. 

 After recently talking to a friend about weaning her little guy from the binky at one year, I was kicking myself because I should have followed suit.  Allie has gotten more attached to her binky lately and I was dreading breaking her away from them.  Only a few days after talking to my friend Allie woke up one morning and had bitten the tip off of her bink.  I reminded her every day that when the binks were gone, there would be no more.  She continued every day until all 8 binks were broken.  After we had a not so bad first night without the bink, we went and picked up Megan.  We've had a couple nights of  peeing the bed, and a couple weeks of adjusting but things are now smoother.

5 comments:

The Blaisdell Family said...

Oh crap (that's what would have come to my mind!!) Been there and done that, however Ryan used a highlighter, and since you and I have the same house, just a little FYI: highlighter does NOT come off anything white!! (like the doors and trim!) GRRRRRRRRR

These little kids are such monkeys at these young ages.

I actually just received an email from a friend telling me about "Mr. Peeps" and a great place to get cute, bendable elves. I will have to look into it. It sounds like a fun tradition to start while the kids are young!!

Megan Davenport Cannon said...

Ahhh, the terrible two's strike! Good thing she's such a sweetheart.

nurseheather said...

Oh kim, i can't help but laugh - only because it wasn't happening to me. i'm so sorry. that really stinks. i never dreamed that kids would think of coloring their walls - i'm going to be a bit more careful with mine. BUt if it makes you feel any better, i have permanent sharpie on my leather couch... wonder what the internet says about that

Marisa said...

Well, I admire your calmness because I turn into a screaming Banchie when my kids do these endearing little things!

Kris said...

Kim,

Love the part about don't tell Mr. Peeps, so cute. Our elf came tonight, and my kids are loving it. It is such a fun tradition.