Sunday, May 20, 2012

Hand, Foot, and Mouth

Following Sophie's 18 month check up we took a drastic turn for the worst.  I started blaming everything on the shots even though I'd never heard of such crazy side effects.  The day of her shots, which was Wednesday, she started vomiting.  The following day the vomiting continued and was accompanied by fevers.  Later on in the afternoon, we were driving in the car and Allie commented how Sophie had bumps on her legs.  I told her we'd check them out when we stopped the car.  Sure enough Sophie had little pimple like bumps up both of her legs; a rash, I guess that can be another side effect of shots I thought.  

Friday arrived and the so called rash was now on the tops of  Sophie's feet, the bottoms of her feet, and on her hands, and as the day progressed it was moving up her arms and back.  Hand, Food, and Mouth disease was my first thought at this point.  I called into the Dr.'s, knowing if I went in there would be nothing they would do.  The nurse informed me that she in fact had Hand, Foot, and Mouth and gave me several concoctions I could try to keep her comfortable and keep her eating if it spread to her mouth.  She also informed me the unlucky kid did not have vomiting due to the shots, she was just unlucky and caught some bug on top of it all.  

Saturday, the poor girl was miserable.  Blake had taken Allie up to the cabin with some friends for a "daddy-kids" weekend.  Luckily I was able to snuggle Sophie with all of my time throughout the weekend.  She was very uncomfortable but we were lucky the rash stopped spreading Saturday and just remained from the neck down.  By Sunday all the lesions started crusting over and it appeared the kid was recovering from the chicken pox.  


The poor back of Sophie's legs and her diaper area seemed to be the worst areas hit.  She was constantly putting her hand into her diaper to scratch:(


The lesions down her leg


Her poor feet were covered on the tops and the entire bottoms were covered.  I was surprised she still continued to walk; it looked so painful 


Sophie the Monday following our awful weekend.  Everything was still healing, but she appeared to be in better spirits.  I hoped in the shower and she was gone from my bathroom when I came out.  I found her up in Max's bed with a pack of gum chomping away on multiple pieces.  So glad this girl is on the mend and back into being my mischievous busy body !!!

0 comments: