Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Canning Fest!

Well, yet another fall has arrived and our pantry is out of peaches and nearing the end of our pears. Katie and I decided to have a 2nd annual year of canning. We decided that this year we were going to can while we had sleeping children, since it was an all day event last year juggling two toddlers. Well, this year it ended up being an all night event. We began our peach canning at around 10:00 p.m. Well, if anyone knows me I can go off of little sleep the next day, so I kept Katie awake till 4 a.m. canning peaches. Thanks Katie for all of the crazy fun! We ended up with 87 Quarts of peaches between the two of us. We priced out our peaches at .46 for a 16 oz can, compared to Walmart's .68 a can. That is .22 in savings per can, and a whole lot better tasting peaches.

Our pears had to ripen for a couple of days, so we ended up tackling this project on a Saturday evening. We had the dad's watching football and the kids, if that says anything about our attentive babysitters. We pretty much were canning pears and babysitting. Well after the kids were down, we drug my fabulous husband into the middle of canning pears. I think he now appreciates all of the hard work and love that goes into each jar. Thanks hun! Well we ended up with 66 Quarts of pears. The pears ended up costing us .54 a can, compared to Walmart's at .68 a can. We ended up with a .12 savings here, but still nothing beats a home canned jar of pears!



Katie hard at work, peeling and cutting our peaches

Our cooling peaches...these look leaps and bound ahead of our jars from last year

The canned fruit has turned into my new decor...my pantry is too full this year

2 comments:

The Blaisdell Family said...

HOLY MOLY!! You are my new idol!

Hillary said...

Good job Kim! It's kind of addicting, huh?! I have loved canning this year as well, it makes me feel a sense of security!