Monday, September 28, 2009

Tomatoes Out Of My Ears

Well fall frost is literally hitting us in a few days so we decided we had better get the garden prepped for the first frost. Today we had weather up in the 90's and in a few days we will be down in the 50's. I decided tonight called for a family project to tackle the garden while we had the good weather. Blake and Allie were working on taking out all of the old summer stuff, while I was in charge of planting the new. I saw Allie continually piling tomatoes into our bowl and I continued to see Blake running in and out of the house. What a surprise when I walked into the house. I didn't realize that we had ended up with so many tomatoes.

Here is one counter full

And the other, plus my sink of tomatoes. Anyone know what to do with green tomatoes? We are going to try and put the tomatoes in brown paper bags this year and see how that goes turning the tomatoes red. Last year we tried hanging the tomatoes (still on the vines) from a ladder, but what a huge mess that made in the garage. We'll keep you all posted on how the brown bag method goes and if anyone wants some green tomatoes, let me know. We have plenty to go around.

3 comments:

Megan Davenport Cannon said...

Brown bagging works really well. I can't for the life of me remember what the chemical is called, but tomatoes emit a chemical that is used in the ripening process, and the brown bag keeps the self-ripening emissions from floating away. And the breathable paper bag works way better than say a plastic one.

Hillary said...

I've heard that if you put them in a box and layer them with newspaper between that they ripen nicely... never tried it for myself, just heard it from others. Good luck.

Stephanie Johnson said...

Okay so we have a cherry tomato plant and it has like taken over a whole corner of our yard!! I don't know myself what to do with all this. So I will be checking your blog